Thursday, June 12, 2014

Under the Acacia Tree...witnessed first baptism


Sharon 
 Going into this trip, I wasn't sure what to expect.   – would it be dangerous – would it smell – would I get sick - would I enjoy my teammates – would I be able to openly share the story of Jesus?  

I didn't know what to expect and found that all my fears went away as soon as I met the first person.  I know as a Christian, God loves me so much and wants me to experience love deep in my soul.  He asks us to love others and I was amazed that opening my heart to these strangers who now are my family helped me realize just how much Jesus loves us.  The fruit of the Spirit shined through and on the first day of my travels, I saw and gave – love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self- control.

The first experience of love on this trip was under the Acacia Tree  - driving up after a long drive on a dirt road, the car stopped and you heard singing – beautiful singing.  There was a church body - only a foundation, waiting on walls and a roof to be built, but they didn't need a building - they were a church – under that Acacia Tree.  
church foundation

The congregation all greeted us with a handshake and bowed as they shook our hand as a sign of respect.  The first baptism that I witnessed was right there.  I will never forget this moment.  As I held a small girl in a beautiful purple dress was sitting in my lap, beautiful singing by the choir, Rebecca had asked Jesus into her heart and was ready to be baptized.  Rebecca became a child of God and a sister in Christ with me.  This was such a beautiful experience.  Tears were flowing from my eyes.  I felt love...true, deep, un-selfish love. 


worshiping under the Acacia Tree

Rachel is baptized





Sharon Hyde
Memphis, TN